Skin Care: Tips and Advice for Basic Skin Care
Whether your skin is oily or dry, whether you have acne or rosacea, there are a few basic practices that everyone should follow when it comes to skin care. The following are ten basic skin care tips that everyone should follow.
- Eat Right - Make sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Stay away from fatty foods, foods high in refined sugars, and foods loaded with trans-fatty acids.
- Drink Plenty of Water - Water helps keeps the body hydrated. In addition it helps flush out impurities in the skin. Drinking water each day will keep your skin young and fresh. A lack of proper hydration can lead to tissue losing pliability and the ability to contract and expand. This, along with lack of fluids to connective tissue beneath the skin, can lead to excessive wrinkling and sagging of skin, stretchmarks and early on-set of cellulite
- Wear Sunscreen Daily - One of the primary causes of wrinkles is the sun. Never leave your home without applying sunscreen moisturizer for your face and neck and any other body parts that are exposed to the sun’s rays. It does not matter what time of year it is always apply sunblock. UVA/UVB rays from sun exposure are primary contributors to skin cancer and free-radical damage to tissue. The destruction of tissue cells by free-radicals can lead to sun and age spots, wrinkles, spider veins and pre-mature aging of skin.
- Do Not Over Wash your Skin - While it is important to cleanse your skin of oils to help prevent acne, it is vital for effective skin care to only wash twice a day maximum. The exception is after vigorous exercise as the sweat, dirt and oil from working out can lead to clogged pores. Excessive washing, especially with harsh soaps and cleansers will dry your skin. Remember washing strips the face of oils and moisture and the chlorine in tap water can cause skin damage. The best bet is to use a gentle or herbal face cleanser for proper skin care.
- No Smoking - Smoking causes early aging of the skin. This is especially true around the mouth where a multitude of lines will form. In addition, your skin will appear dull and sallow if you smoke. Smoking is also a primary contributor to free-radical damage. Though skin products and supplements with antioxidants can help fight and guard against free-radical damage, smoking will generally over-ride the best efforts.
- Wear Sunglasses - Sunglasses are the best skin care for your eyes. The delicate skin around your eyes is prone to aging faster than other areas of your body. Choose glasses that protect against UVA and UVB rays. Also, "squinting" will lead to deeper wrinkles around the eyes.
- Tepid Showers - Avoid hot showers. The hot water can dry out your skin and cause excessive redness. For extra skin care try to take a cold shower final rinse. The cold water will close your pores and this will help prevent blockage and acne.
- Sleep - When you sleep your body repairs itself. Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep a night. This will prevent your skin from looking dull and pasty and help keep those bags and puffy eyes at bay.
- Skin Care Products - Putting skin care products on just before going to bed is not advised. The products will rub off while you sleep. Instead, apply these products at least 1 hour before bedtime. This will give them plenty of time to sink in to your skin....especially oily skin products designed to reduce oiliness.
- Make-Up - Always remove your makeup before going to bed at night. Keeping your makeup on while you sleep can result in early aging of your skin and will often lead to irritation and inflammation. Makeup clogs pores and attracts dirt and oil. The "number 1 rule" for women is never (repeat never) go to bed without washing off your makeup.
- Choose Skin Care Products Correctly - Before choosing a skin care product read the label carefully. Make sure the product is made for your skin type. Using the wrong product could damage your skin. As you age and start seeing wrinkles or fine lines, look for products with Hyaluronic Acid or Argireline. Both of theses advanced anti-aging ingredients replenish moisture and improve skin cell health for less wrinkles.
- Exercise - It is important to get as much aerobic exercise a day as possible. Exercise increases blood flow and this helps wash away impurities and improve delivery of nutrition to skin cell membranes. To target the abdomen, try stomach skin tightening exercises to reduce loose and sagging tissue on the stomach and tummy area. You skin will look and feel healthy with a regular workout regimen.