You are here: Home > Knowledge Base > Hair Care Information > Hair Growth > Keratin: Why Keratin is important for Hair Growth

Keratin: Why Keratin is Important For Hair Growth

The word keratin comes from the Greek word Kepatos which means horn. This protein is responsible for 90% of hair while the other 10% is made up of moisture in normal hair. Moisture is what gives hair its softness, flexibility, manageability and elasticity...and hair growth.

Keratin is important for hair growth and gives your hair its ability to resist breakdown from wear and tear as well as its strength. When hair is damaged it is primarily the keratin that undergoes the largest amount of damage.

What Is Keratin?

The term keratin is used to refer to an entire group of proteins that are for fibrous structures. Monomers of keratin combine to create bundles that will make up intermediate filaments.

These are tough and insoluble and combine to create very strong tissues that are un-mineralized and found in mammals, amphibians, birds and reptiles. The closest biological substance that is as strong as tissue formed by keratinization is chitin. This protein is found in nails, skin and hair. The buildup of calluses is actually comprised from surplus keratin. These cells are will be shed and replaced on a constant basis.

Effects On Hair

The protein keratin is naturally found to occur in hair. It is able to help dry, cracked or damaged hair by filling in the cracks of the hair cuticle. Because it is non-permeable its role is that of a protectant layer on cells.

There are many treatments for your hair that are comprised of keratin and have been found very useful in straightening frayed and frizzy hair. Because hair can be the subject of abuse in the form of chemicals and heat it is important to consider keratin for hair growth. It is made out of cells that are dead and then excreted, generally through sweat.

When Things Go Wrong

When the appropriate amounts of keratin are no longer produced hair suffers. This generally happens from mutated hair follicles and is called keratinocytes. When keratin is produced that is defected it stands a good chance of being removed because of the natural system in the body of removing materials that are defected.

If this happens in the hair strand or follicle there is a better chance that the hair will be gotten rid of. The result is an increase in the loss of hair. If the process continues and the defected follicles keep dividing hair loss will increase and become visible.

How Added Keratin Can Help

There are many people who choose to seek more keratin by getting a better diet. If you choose this route you can find it in sweet potatoes, mangoes, spinach, broccoli and eggs.

Getting the right amounts of keratin isn’t as simple as eating these foods though. You’ll need to make sure to have several other minerals and vitamins; magnesium, sulfur, zinc and vitamins B & C. A filamentous biomaterial, hair grows out of follicles scattered and even concentrated in different areas of the skin or dermis. It is mainly created from protein and predominantly from the protein keratin.

By adding protein back to your hair through products, diet, or a keratin hair treatment you will help insure you protect your hair styling. You will also have stronger and more luxurious locks.
Sort By:
Page of 1
Bioten Biotin Vitamin Supplement Bioten Biotin Vitamin Supplement

Biotin hair vitamins enriched with 10 natural amino acids, vitamins and minerals for hair growth, shine & strength! Naturally helps hair grow faster, stronger and shinier! Rich in vitamins B-1&2, B-6&7, Niacin, Saw Palmetto, Green Tea.

List Price: $20.00
Our Price: $16.95
You save $3.05!